Experienced Attorney Representation. Always There For You.

How to handle your co-parent missing support payments

On Behalf of | Mar 7, 2023 | child custody |

In even the most cordial of situations, divorce is hard. Not only do you have to face life as a newly single person, but if children are involved, there are other considerations. Things can become even more complicated when your co-parent fails to make court-ordered child support payments. If your co-parent has not made a support payment, it’s time to act.

Calm discussion

Ideally, co-parenting involves both parties working together for the good of the children. If your co-parent fails to pay child support, begin by calmly discussing the fact. If they faced a financial emergency that left them unable to pay and you’re able to work with them on getting caught up, that is often an easier, less contentious route to take.

Remaining flexible

Depending on your co-parent’s work situation, they may be unable to meet the amount the court ordered them to pay. It’s important that you remain flexible. While you don’t have to allow yourself to be taken advantage of, it may be in your child’s best interest to consider modifying the agreement.

Consult a lawyer

Unfortunately, there are cases in which a divorce begins amicably and takes a turn for the worse. Even worse, some co-parents choose to weaponize their support payments as a means of manipulating the situation and their child’s other parent.

If that is the case in your situation, you should consult an attorney familiar with child support law in your area. There are instances where motions must be filed, and legal steps must be taken to ensure that the children are cared for.

Ideally, the adults involved in co-parenting remember to keep their children’s best interests at heart. That includes when dealing with child support payment.