Any type of legal proceeding in New Jersey requires rigorous preparation. The need for diligent prep is rarely more necessary than in a divorce case. With that in mind, there are a number of matters to be addressed in anticipation of a divorce. These primary points are summarized on this divorce prep checklist.
Prepare yourself financially
You must not be taken off guard financially when a divorce case commences. You prepare yourself financially by doing the following:
- Opening your checking and savings accounts only in your name
- Opening your own credit card, also in your name only
- Ordering a free credit report from the three major credit reporting agencies to confirm your debts and liabilities
Organize your key paperwork and documentation
Early in divorce proceedings, you will be called upon to file documentation under the penalty of perjury that outlines your assets, liabilities, and income. In anticipation of that step, organize key financial paperwork and documentation, including:
- Tax returns for the past three years
- Paystubs or other documentation of earnings or income
- Bank statements for the past three years
- Copies of deeds to real estate
- Copies of titles to vehicles
Outline your specific objectives
Put into writing a list of your specific ultimately objectives in a divorce. These should include desires regarding such matters a child custody, child support, property division, and debt allocation.
Prep to retain suitable legal counsel
Finally, settle down right away to find a divorce lawyer. Be deliberate in that process. Begin by obtaining a list of recommendations from family, friends, and colleagues who’ve been through a divorce relatively recently.
By paying heed to the items outlined here you place yourself in a stronger position to better protect your vital legal interests in a divorce case. You lay a foundation that enhances the prospect that the ultimate outcome of a marriage dissolution proceeding is more acceptable to you.